All you kombucha fans out there, we’ve got you covered! Check out this video for a quick taste of what you can get on tap at Fork & Salad.
Having a quality, health-inspired beverage program was really important to us at Fork & Salad. We wanted to offer our customers a locally-made, organic product that was not only delicious, but good for you.
So kombucha from Big Wave is a great fit. Customers love the Maui-made product; it’s not as tart as traditional “booch” and the flavors really stand out due to the double-fermentation process.
We usually offer a selection of five kombucha options and two kefirs (water-based, sweeter, probiotic drink) on tap. Flavors are fresh, organic and can change depending on the season, or sometimes the day! Some customer favorites include:
-mango chili lime
So yes, you love kombucha. And we have kombucha. But what IS kombucha??
Well, here’s a quick summary: the fermented probiotic drink has been consumed for thousands of years, and likely originated from China, though some say its roots go back to Russia too.
It is made from tea, sugar, a SCOBY (acronym for symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast), and a starter from a previous batch. The beneficial bacteria and yeasts work synergistically together to bring about fermentation. The sugar and caffeine are used up in that process.
Kombucha is “brewed” (fermented) over a course of seven to 31 days. The final product is naturally carbonated; a fizzy, tasty drink with very little, if any, caffeine or sugar. But many believe its advantages go way beyond this.
Across the globe, kombucha is considered a healing drink with some amazing wellness benefits. It’s not really the kombucha itself that heals — it just brings your body into balance, allowing YOU to heal naturally!
According to the sources at wholelifestylenutrition.com, here is a list of potential healing properties from drinking kombucha:
– Probiotics – healthy bacteria
– Alkalize the body – balances internal pH
– Detoxify the liver – happy liver = happy mood
– Increase metabolism – rev your internal engine
– Improve digestion – keep your system moving
– Rebuild connective tissue – helps with arthritis, gout, asthma, rheumatism
– Cancer prevention
– Alleviate constipation
– Boost energy – helps with chronic fatigue
– Reduce blood pressure
– Relieve headaches & migraines
– Reduce kidney stones
– High in antioxidants – destroy free-radicals that cause cancer
– High in polyphenols
– Improve eyesight
– Heal excema – can be applied topically to soften the skin
– Prevent artheriosclerosis
– Speed healing of ulcers – kills h.pylori on contact
– Help clear up candida & yeast infections
– Aid healthy cell regeneration
– Reduce gray hair
– Lower glucose levels – prevents spiking from eating
It should be noted, though, that not everyone believes in the powers of kombucha, but whether you drink it for your health or just ’cause it tastes so good, just know we’ve got it fresh on draft and ready for you daily!
And that’s not all — we have a range of other options, including some new housemade iced teas and lemonades!
So join us for some healthy drinks, salads, sandwiches and more! #EatLocalEatHealthy